“Gjelina: Cooking from Venice, California” Cookbook Review
The above is a quote from my friend Kelli, in regards to the dessert Carol brought to Cooking Club Mid-term Dinner. It was the Date Cake with Whiskey Sauce, and a side of Ginger Gelatto. Um yes…it was truly amazing. The perfect mix of sweet and spice. I’m not a ginger person…but I could have had seconds of that dish! I think this quote is a sign of GREAT things from this cookbook.
- Photos are gorgeous. It makes me want to try everything in this book despite the fact that I don’t know what some of the ingredients are. :)
- Quite a few of the recipes refer to other recipes in the book (which isn’t my favorite) but it’s just cause I’m lazy and I don’t want to make 3 recipes just to make 1.
Mid-term dinner consisted of the following…and ALL of the following (BTW) was fantastic. :)
- Mushroom Toasts (worth repeating)
- Arugula & Radicchio Salad with Crispy Shallots & Shallot Oil-Sherry Vinaigrette
- Beet Carrot Soup
- Grilled Summer Squash, Za’atar & Cherry Tomato Confit
- Oven-Roasted Parsnips with Hazelnut Picada
- Charred Blade Steak with Green Peppercorn & Sherry Pan Sauce
- Warm Date Cake with Ginger Gelato (worth repeating)
Also made was the Pickled Red Onions. It might sound like a random thing to make on a Sunday afternoon…but there are so many things I can do with them! Top some smoked trout or avocado toasts, or in a lamb burger. They are quite delicious and super easy to make.
Other recipes that are on my list to make is the Grilled Kale with Shallot-Yogurt Dressing & Toasted Hazelnuts, Grilled Jumbo Asparagus with Gribiche & Bottarga (if I can find the last two mentioned ingredients) and the Butterscotch Pots de Creme with Salted Caramel.
I have lots of cooking to do!!! :)